Re: [netcdfgroup] length of start and count vector greater than variable dimension possible??

As far as I know there is no such API available in NetCDF yet.

There is one in PnetCDF called varn APIs that might do what you are asking.
See the API description and examples in the URL below.
http://cucis.ece.northwestern.edu/projects/PnetCDF/doc/pnetcdf-c/ncmpi_005fput_005fvarn_005f_003ctype_003e.html

Please note the APIs are different between PnetCDF and NetCDF.

Wei-keng