[netcdfgroup] One or more variable sizes violate format constraints

Hello,
           NetCDF Support has given me permission to post this question to
this group. I am migrating a large project which contains NC_* API calls to
NF90_* calls. The NetCDF data is in the classic file format. After
migrating the code base in a particular function call I am getting "-62
NETCDF: One or more variable sizes violate format constraints". Now I do
not have large file (it is only 62 MB). The code works fine with the NC_*
API calls. I am at a loss how to debug this as printing out the values in
fortran 90 does not seem to help i.e. no new information is reported. From
what I can make out all are legitimate values. I am using gfortran 5.4 and
NetCDF 4.5-rc1 and NetCDF Fortran 4.4.4. Any suggestions in helping me
debug this would be appreciated. I can provide the code sample where the
code is failing on request.
Is it possible to open a file that was created using the Classic File
format using the new 64 bit offset format ?

Regarding the actual code and where I believe the code is failing

I have an array of size 4 that I am passing to the module where it has to
be saved. I am doing a redef call. But the actual array only contains three
values. So I believe gfortran substitutes denormal values for the 4th value
and this is where it is failing. But as I said when I print this out the
values are all normal values.

Can somebody knowledgeable with NetCDF API and it's usage offer some
suggestions ?

Best regards,
Ashwin.