20050110: CONDUIT feed timing

Jerry,

Regarding queue size, If you are only receiving GFS,
hen you should expect the following:

.5 degree files: 39MB * 29 forecast hours = 1.1GB
1 degree files: 26MB * 61 forecast hours = 1.5GB
2.5 degree files: 4MB * 68 forecast hours = 272MB

Since the GFS takes over an hour to post to the NWS servers,
your queue doesnot see all that instantaneously of course, but
if you have less than a 2GB queue, you will likely have periods of
tme when you have less than 1 hour's worth of data as you can follow
using the ~ldm/bin/pqmon command.

If you were getting the ull conduit feed, you could see up to 2.7 GB in
an hours, which is the maximum I observed in the past 2 weeks, but generally
2.2GB per
hour has been the 4x per day maximum.

When you have redundant feed requests, and one is substantially faster then the
other,
the less preferred route generally contributes little, but if your
queue holds less than 1 hour's worth of data, then as new data arrive from your
faster route and scour the old data, the less preffered can
occaisionally send you a really of product that you had previously received.
The 6.1.0 ldm release does a better job at limiting the "how old" to the
default of the rpc.ldmd "-m" time which defaults to 3600 seconds.

Your previous 400MB queue would definitely be a problem. a 1GB queue I suspect
will
besmall, unless you are selectively feeding parts of the data stream.

Thanks for the input you have provided, it is the best source of information
for helping us balance the data stream throughput versus usability.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support