19990421: Unidata Membership

Duane,

UH is a Unidata site, andnothing additional is needed.
Our office suite is closed through Tuesday for rewiring-
so I will be available via email such as this, but only
voice mail by phone- so email is always preferred.

A group of us deal with the support issues, depending who is
available and what the problem is. Sending email to support@unidata
ensures that someone will see the message if I'm out of the office...
and if they can answer it, you might get a quicker answer.
Other than that, the LDM distribution can be downloaded
via anonymous ftp at: ftp.unidata.ucar.edu under the
file name of pub/ldm5/ldm.tar.Z.

Installation on an SGI is pretty straight forward, if thats still
the planned OS on your end. If you decide on Linux, let me know since
we are in the process of updating some perl scripts for Linux
peculiarites at the moment and I want to make sure you get the most
current stuff.

If you are still negotiating with firewall issues, here are the
basic requirements-
Port 388 must be allowed through- can be restricted to upstream
ip address if necessary. rpc.ldmd is installed setuid to be allowed
to connect to the priviledged port. After the program connects
to the port, privilages are lowered to the user (typically an
LDM account is used as the user running the software).

rpc.ldmd can be installed without setuid permission, but in this
case, the port that is used must be obtained from the portmapper
at run time, and port 111 sunrpc would also have to be open
across the firewall, as well as the ports above 1024.
This would be a less desireable environment to run in.

When William is ready to get going, let me know.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User SUpport