[IDV #ALC-231798]: error with javax/media/j3d/SceneGraphObject

> Full Name: Romain
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version:
> Operating System:
> Hardware:
> Description of problem: Hello, I'm a computer scientist and I work on IDV on
> Linux but I have some installation issues.
> I downloaded all the sources files, jar etc.
> The ant idvjar works but when I want to do
> "java  -Xmx512m  -jar idv.jar" (saw in your Building the IDV from Source
> tutorial), I have this error
>
> "Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> javax/media/j3d/SceneGraphObject
> at visad.util.Util.<clinit>(Util.java:303)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.checkSystem(IntegratedDataViewer.java:371)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.<init>(IntegratedDataViewer.java:266)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.<init>(IntegratedDataViewer.java:224)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.DefaultIdv.<init>(DefaultIdv.java:69)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.DefaultIdv.main(DefaultIdv.java:150)
> Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.media.j3d.SceneGraphObject
> at
> java.base/jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadClass(BuiltinClassLoader.java:581)
> at
> java.base/jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoaders.java:178)
> at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:522)
> ... 6 more
> "
> My jdk version: 11.0.9.1
> My Java3D version: java3d-1_5_1-linux-i586.bin
> My ant version: 1.10.5
> My linux: Debian 10.8
>
> Do you know what's the problem?
>
> I also saw that you recommand to use the "runIDV" script instead of "java
> -Xmx512m  -jar idv.jar" in the forum but I don't have this script in my
> workspace.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hi Romain,

If you download the Installer for IDV under 64 bit Linux from
https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/idv/current/index.jsp,
and install the IDV, you should have the runIDV script in the install location.

JDK 11 doesn't have the JRE package, and the JRE is where is the place where
you run your programs. Your option is either to
use the jlink to create the JRE or use the JRE bundle with the installed IDV.
The JRE inside the IDV is in version 1.8u51.

The error message you got suggests that the j3d library is not linked to java
of your JDK 11. You can google to find out
how to installed j3d correctly. But if you use the jre inside the IDV it will
save you a lot of time.

Yuan

Ticket ID: ALC-231798
Department: Support IDV