19990115: LDM updates needed

Robb-

I've just installed the LDM 5.0.6 binary for Linux on a system
and the guys up in UNAVCO did the same.  There are a few fixes
needed to the docs and ldmadmin script.

1) In ldmadmin, the argument to ps for ldmadmin ps needs to be
ajx.  Otherwise, it does not work.  Here is a diff:

diff ldmadmin ldmadmin.dist
806c806
<         open( IN, "ps ajx |" ) || bad_exit("ps: Cannot open ps");
---
>         open( IN, "ps aj |" ) || bad_exit("ps: Cannot open ps");
877c877
<         $ps_cmd = "ps ajx | grep $gpid_num" ;
---
>         $ps_cmd = "ps aj | grep $gpid_num" ;

2) In the online installation docs, there needs to be some instructions
on creating the /var/data/ldm directory and the /var/data/ldm/logs
directory.  There are instructions for creating links to these
(~ldm/data and ~ldm/logs), but it never says these need to exist.
When one tries to touch the log file, it errs if the directory isn't
created first.

3) In the section on "Make rpc.ldmd and hupsyslog suid root" in
the binary installation instructions, put in a
"cd ~ldm/{version-directory}/bin" before the instructions on
running chmod, etc or say "In {version-directory}/bin", run
these commands.

4) The guys at UNAVCO read the instructions in the configuring
as root section (Pre-installation) which says:

By convention, the LDM home directory should be /usr/local/ldm or /home/ldm.

and set the home directory to /home/ldm.  If you do this, then
the binary version will not work because it is hardcoded to be
/usr/local/ldm, unless you provide locations of files to rpc.ldmd
and pqact.  I told them to make a link from /usr/local/ldm to /home/ldm
and that works, but there is nowhere in the docs that explains what
to do if you are using a binary version and did not make /usr/local/ldm
the user ldm's home directory.

Other than that, the docs for installation are in pretty good shape.

Don
address@hidden                        P.O. Box 3000
Unidata WWW Server               http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/
McIDAS Demonstration Machine  http://mcdemo.unidata.ucar.edu/