19990118: LDM Versions

>From: address@hidden

Erick,

>I am still plowing through the upgrade of McIDAS and LDM on our
>system at Davis.  As my memory half life is probably about 6 weeks
>or less I have a question that you probably covered at the workshop
>but I can't remember if you did.

Fair enough.

>I have got McIDAS on line but isolated from data for the moment while
>I endeavor to upgrade LDM.  I went to down load the binary dist. for LDM
>and discovered that there was none for IRIX 5.3.
>
>I thought well maybe you said something about not compiling for the
>older OS's because you only have so many machines.  Fair enough.

Right you are.  IRIX 5.3 is fairly old now.  The current release of
IRIX is 6.5.

>Then I went to the source directory and found that the most recent
>version is 5.0.6.  So my questions are:
>
>1.  Is 5.0.6 in fact the most recent version that is available in
>    source?

Yes.

>2.  Will version 5.x.x work correctly with McIDAS 7.4?

Yes.  The LDM really has nothing to do with McIDAS per se; it moves data
from place to place and can run user selected programs upon receipt of
products.  The connection to  McIDAS is by:

o running ldm-mcidas decoders; these work fine from all of the LDM releases
o running McIDAS ROUTE PostProcess BATCH invocations; this is accomplished
  by running a substitute for the McIDAS BATCH command which, in turn, sets
  up a McIDAS environment in which the real McIDAS BATCH command runs.  This
  works fine for McIDAS-X 7.x.

>3.  I am already running LDM 5.0.  Assuming that the answers to 1 and 2
>    are "yes" is it worth my time to upgrade LDM now?

Yes it is.  There have been several bugs fixed since the 5.0 release of the
LDM.

>Thanks for your help

You are welcome.

>Erick Lorenz, U C Davis