Re: Re[2]: 19990114: Feed type for Nexrad level 2 data COMINGSOON/BLKDATA

> The reason I break the product up is two-fold:
>

> 1. A volume takes from 6-10 minutes to produce.  I send the data as soon as
it
> is received.  The partial product could be useful.
>
> 2. Also, I am compressing the radar volume as I receive it, and each
individual
> piece has been seperately compressed.
>
> Given the above, it would make sense to leave it the way I have it.

The rule of thumb is to have an each ldm product be independently useful,
and it sounds like that is the case. So, my confusion came from the naming
of each product within a volume by a number, and the 'E'. Are there more
meaningful names, like a solid angle specification, for each individual
product within a volume?

Second question, does the volume number add value beyond the timestamp?

Both of the above questions are moot if these numbers are pulled out of
the data itself and the data users are used to referring to the data
by these numbers.

> Do you have any suggestions as to naming, perhaps instead of
>
>       YYYYMMDDHHMMSS IIII nnn mm [E]
>
> what would be better is:
>
> IIII/YYYYMMDDHHMMSS/nnn/mm[/E]

I prefer the second form, with the slashes.

I hope you don't think I was being unnecessarily critical. You can see how
I might think that the COMINGSOON/BLKDATA functionality was being duplicated.

-glenn