Re: AFOS (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 10 Mar 1999 11:12:58 -0500
From: Walter Rogers <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: Re: AFOS

     >Walter,

     >Why do you use the AFOS feed?

     Because, Center Weather Service Units (CWSUs) still receive their NWS
     connection to our parent offices through an AFOS feed.  I am trying to
     upgrade our link to my home office so that we maintain the AFOS type
     data sets and also have access to the home office LAN (which contains
     other data sets).  The plan is to go to an IP link using a dedicated
     line forward AFOS feeds to us via LDM.

     Unfortunately, NWS does not have a plan to upgrade us to AWIPS.  So,
     each of us is coming up with their own solutions.  I expect that the
     AFOS feed from the AFOS equipment will not last longer than about
     6months.  Then, rumors are, that AWIPS will provide us with a similiar
     feed via the LDAD component of AWIPS.  There is also a possibility
     within a year or two that we will have some variant of AWIPS itself.

     >Isn't NOAAport a super set?

     It may well be.  I am not sure of the differences between the headers
     and trailers separating messages of the two feeds.

     >Also what branch of noaa do you work?

     This is often confusing to a lot of people.  CWSUs are part of NWS
     which is of course under NOAA.  My boss is the Meteorologist in Charge
     of WFO Oxnard/Los Angeles.  We are a satellite office that is embedded
     within the FAAs Air Route Traffice Control Centers.  Four
     meteorologists  (2 shifts per day) support FAA Air Traffic operations
     under a reimbursable agreeement (i.e. - we are like contractors to the
     FAA).  All equipment and facilities are provided by FAA, NWS provides
     the bodies.  There are 21 ARTCCs in the U.S. and each has a CWSU.

     Well, almost all equipment is provided and supported by FAA.  The link
     to our satellite offices is through AFOS and antiquated PCs/software.
     That is what I'm trying to upgrade.

     Our main meteorologist workstation is provided by FAA through a leased
     system via Harris Coroporation.  It is called Weather and Radar
     Processor (WARP).  Unfortunately, this system is very limited in what
     it can provide.

     Walter Rogers
     Meteorologist