19990316: solaris7 and ntp

>From: address@hidden

Alan-

>In setting up for ldm, I know we need to run ntp.  I see that
>this is already provided with solaris7, but am still puzzled as
>to how to edit my ntp.conf file.  There are some samples given
>in etc/inet  as ntp.client (the one I would expect to use) and
>also a sample ntp.server.

Yes, this is a confusing part of LDM configuration.
>The sample client file is written to have the client waiting
>passively for ntp packets from a multicast net.  Is this what
>I want?

First, you need the IP address of a time server.  Check with your
campus networking people and see if they have one on campus.
If not, check with your upstream feed site and see if you can
use their LDM server as a time server.

Here is what you need to do (as root):

cp /etc/inet/ntp.client to /etc/inet/ntp.conf
edit /etc/inet/ntp.conf
add the line
server your_timeserver_IP_address
delete the line
muticastclient 224.0.1.1

(change your_timeserver_IP_address to the actual IP number).

>Another alternative (from documentation) is to have the command
>nptdate run under cron.
>
>What is your advice?

Use the ntp.conf file as directed above.

Let us know if you can't get a timeserver.  You can also check on the
web site listed in the LDM config docs under NTP to find a time server.

Don