Re: go ahead ...

Hiya,

The ldm is running and receiving data from redwood now.
Well you had a typo on the ldmd.conf file FLS2 instead of FSL2. Because
the logging wasn't set up, the ldm was in a wait state.  I attached a
README about ldm logging.  One can HUP the syslogd by hand it check if
hupsyslog,ie

% kill -HUP <syslog.pid>

Also don't forget to set up the ldm stats, we use this information in our
funding proposals. So it's important to UPC.

in crontab

35 * * * * bin/ldmadmin dostats

Robb...

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Dave wrote:

> It's funny that you should say that we don't have access... I did contact
> Knight and he had said this:

$Id: README,v 1.10 1995/11/21 17:47:44 davis Exp $

The ulog routines allow you to route log messages directly to a file
or to syslogd, switchable at run time. If you are going to send the
data to syslogd, you should configure it. Read the manual pages for
syslog(3), syslogd(8), and syslog.conf(5). Also logger(1) if your system
has it.

Configuring syslog.

It is highly recommended that you use syslogd for logging.
This allows you to close and rename the logfile on a daily or hourly
basis and avoid filling up the filesystem with logs.

ulog.h defines the "facility" used by the ldm programs, LOG_LDM,
as LOG_LOCAL0. The examples below assume you are using this default.
If you need to change this, change the script
 ../scour/scour (and perhaps others?) consistantly.

Add a line like the following to /etc/syslog.conf. Use a logfile path
name appropriate to your system setup. The white space between "debug" and
"/var" _must_ be a tab.

# entry for ldm logging
local0.debug    /var/data/ldm/ldmd.log

For this to take effect,
        date > /var/data/ldm/ldmd.log
        hupsyslog

where `hupsyslog' comes with this package and sends a HUP signal to
the syslog daemon.  `hupsyslog', needs to be installed `setuid root'. You will
NEED to be root to do this, type `make install_setuids'. You do NOT need to
have root privilege for any other part of the install. If you cannot get root
privilege, hupsylog will not have permission to send the HUP signal and
the logs will not be rotated.

Test with the following csh script:

% foreach level (err warning notice info)
? echo $level | logger -i -t test -p local0.$level
? end

Your logfile should have some lines sortof like this:
Jul 24 02:49:28 zeppo test[26767]: err
Jul 24 02:49:28 zeppo test[26769]: warning
Jul 24 02:49:28 zeppo test[26771]: notice
Jul 24 02:49:28 zeppo test[26773]: info

Add a line like this to the crontab file of the LDM, setup (using 'crontab -e'):

# Shift LDM log files once a day, 17 Z local is 0 zulu.
#
00 17 * * * bin/ldmping -l /dev/null -h zero && bin/newlog logs/ldmd.log 24 &&
bin/hupsyslog

OR

# Shift LDM log files once an hour at 30 minutes past. ldmstats needs the logs
# rotated once an hour.
#
30 * * * * bin/ldmping -l /dev/null -h zero && bin/newlog logs/ldmd.log 24 &&
bin/hupsyslog

NOTE:

i)     The ldmping is executed first, because if it fails, the logs
        are not rotated and the error information is saved in
        ldmd.log.

ii)    The newlog script rotates the log and it has two parameters:
        the logfile with the relative path (required) and the number of
        files to save (optional). This configuration saves 24 files.
        The default is 8 files.

iii)    hupsyslog is executed, it sends a kill HUP signal to syslog so
        syslog writes to the new ldmd.log file.

There is auxiliary information in the Installation Section of the Site
Manager's Guide.