Re: Sun Ultra 5 or 10 (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 12:54:27 -0400
From: Tom Grzelak <address@hidden>
To: weather <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: Sun Ultra 5 or 10

I have been very impressed with the performance of the Ultra 10s from Sun.
We currently run our entire weather web site (ingests all data + generates
2000 images per day) off a single Ultra 10 with 2 4.3GB IDE disks.  We have
had very few problems with this machine.  In fact since last summer, we
have purchased about 10 additional Ultra 10 machines throughout the
department and they have performed equally as well.  This machine runs the
McIDAS decoders but not the gempak ones.  It receives much of the NOAAport
feed.  This is not used as our IDD relay machine.

I am not sure what your benchmarks for performance are, but we have been
very pleased with our machines.  We have found them to be by far the best
bang for the buck in terms of native Unix platforms.

If you have any more specific questions, please let me know.
Tom

At 09:23 PM 5/21/99 +0000, you wrote:
>There may be a chance of getting some used Sun's
>that have IDE disks.   I was wondering if anyone is
>running the LDM (full NOAAport, GEMPAK and/or McIDAS
>decoders) on an Ultra 5 or 10 with the stock EIDE
>disks.  If so, what do you think of the performance.
>It is slow but not too bad on our PC, but I am
>going to SCSI as I have the money, but this would
>not be possible on the internally loaned, used
>machines.
>
>Thanks
>Robert Mullenax
>NSBF Meteorology

Tom Grzelak                                  732-932-4923
Manager - Computing Services         732-932-8644 (FAX)
   ------> Department of Environmental Sciences
   ------> Center for Environmental Prediction

address@hidden      www.envsci.rutgers.edu/~grzelak