19990917: email of error messages

>From: Tom Priddy <address@hidden>

>From:  Tom Priddy
>
>When ldm goes down..the previous system administrator set something up
>to send me an email saying "LDM IS DOWN."  I now have an alfa-pager
>and want to change the email address so the pager will receives that
>message.  Is there a file or config address within ldm that I can make
>that change...or is this not changeable within the ldm software?
>
>Any ideas?
>--
>Tom Priddy                                address@hidden
>Extension Ag. Meteorologist          ph:  606-257-3000ext245
>Ag. Weather Center                  fax:  606-257-5671
>243 Ag. Engineering Bldg
>Dept. of Biosystems and Ag. Engr.
>University of Kentucky
>Lexington, KY 40546-0276
>HOMEPAGE   http://wwwagwx.ca.uky.edu

Tom,
Since the message is being delivered to you when the LDM is down,
it is probably a periodic cron job that Maureen is running from
the LDM account to check on the ldm status.

To find where this is being run, you probably need to check the output of:
crontab -l
from the ldm account. You should see various jobs like the scouring
and stats reporting. There is probably a script that she wrote
that uses the "ldmadmin isrunning" command and on failure
is sending a mail message either to you or the ldm account.

If the command is sending the message to the ldm account, then
its possible that the ldm account has a ~ldm/.forward file
that defines the addresses to which ldm mail should be forwarded.
If the mail is being sent to the ldm account, the mail message header should
reflect that.

Otherwise, if the script sends the message directly to you, then you need to
know what script is being run from the cron and add the address there.

If you need further help tracking this down, let us know.

Steve Chiswell