19991015: Running LDM5.0.8 under Solaris2.4

>From: Bunny Pfau <address@hidden>

Bunny,

>Although Sol2.4 is NOT a supported platform, should I
>be able to get LDM5.0.8 to run on it okay?

See below.

>I had LDM5.0.8 running fine on both Solaris2.5.1 and
>Solaris2.7, so it doesn't seem to be my ability to set it
>up properly..

OK.

>In my ldmd.log I get an error of this sort:
>
>Oct 15 23:50:05 nahenahe rpc.ldmd[25096]: Starting Up (built: Oct 15 1999 23:1
> 3:16)
>Oct 15 23:50:05 nahenahe rpc.ldmd[25096]: yylex:regcomp failed "^((localhost|l
> oopback)|(127\.0\.0\.1\.?$))"
>Oct 15 23:50:05 nahenahe rpc.ldmd[25096]: /usr/local/ldm/etc/ldmd.conf: line 4
> 7: parse error
>Oct 15 23:50:05 nahenahe rpc.ldmd[25096]: Exiting
>Oct 15 23:50:05 nahenahe rpc.ldmd[25096]: Terminating process group
>
>And there really isn't a syntax error in my ldmd.conf file cuz I'm
>using the one that came with the distribution.
>
>Thanks for any help you can offer!

One of the changes in the later distributions of the LDM was the
removal of Henry Spencer's regular expression package.  This was done
because the regular expression package bundled with supported OSes
provided the capabilities needed by the LDM.

The output you provide above seems to indicate that there may be
something lacking in the regular expression support (since regcomp is
failing on a pattern that works on later versions of Solaris) that is
bundled with Solaris 2.4.  You could test out this possibility by
getting the regular expression stuff from an older verion of the LDM
and using it in linking applications.  The other thing you could try is
a simplification of the regular expression that is failing, but I would
be worried that complex regular expressions used in pqact.conf will
fail.

Finally, and I have to believe that you would be expecting this
comment, you really should upgrade to current version of Solaris.  I
don't know for certain that there are Y2K implications of not upgrading
your OS, but I have to be suspicious that there could be.

Tom Yoksas