19991018: Running LDM5.0.8 under Solaris2.4 (cont.)

>From address@hidden  Sat Oct 16 09:24:32 1999
>To: Bunny Pfau <address@hidden>
>Subject: 19991015: Running LDM5.0.8 under Solaris2.4

Bunny,

>Thanks VERY much for your explanation.  I was able to eliminate
>regular expressions from most of my lines in ldmd.conf and actually
>make the two servers acknowledge connection attempts from each other..

OK.

>The only reason why I am using a  Solaris 2.4 computer right now is
>to test a connection that is outside our firewall that will very soon
>be upgraded to Sol2.7.  The 2.4 machine which is nahenahe below
>will be replaced with a 2.7 machine that I am configuring but do not
>yet have out there in the field, installed.

OK, I understand.

>The task before me is to verify that I can successfully relay
>packets through the firewall BEFORE we actually install the new machine
>(the Sol2.7 one) out there.  So I'm stuck with trying to test on an old
>2.4 machine.

Got it.

>I'm behind the UCAR firewall and I've been told that I won't have
>any problems having my machine-outside-the-firewall relay to my
>one inside the firewall, still I'm supposed to prove this.

Alright.

>I have no access to any older versions of ldm to toy around with
>using the regular expresssion routines in them and linking them in
>to the current LDM5.0.8.

You can get version 5.0.6 of the LDM from our anonymous FTP site in
the pub/ldm5 directory.  5.0.6 still had the regular expression library
included.

>I could almost get my test completed (at least I assume) if I could
>figure out a way to construct a "request" line in my ldmd.conf file that
>didn't use rely on regcomp (meaning, in my simple understanding,
>that it didn't rely on any string matching stuff.

All you need is a single, complete header to make this happen.

>a line like this:
>
>request ANY ".*" nahenahe.mtn.hawaii.gov
>
>makes my servers talk like this:
>
>bob downstream:
> LDM@bob % !tail
> tail -f /bob/d/ldm/logs/ldmd.log
> Oct 18 19:55:31 bob rpc.ldmd[10449]: Starting Up (built: Oct  5 1999 14:01:54
> )
> Oct 18 19:55:31 bob pqexpire[10450]: Starting Up
> Oct 18 19:55:31 bob pqbinstats[10451]: Starting Up (10449)
> Oct 18 19:55:32 bob nahenahe[10453]: run_requester: Starting Up:
>   nahenahe.mtn.hawaii.gov
> Oct 18 19:55:32 bob nahenahe[10453]: run_requester: 19991018185532.090 TS_END
>  {{ANY,  ".*"}}
> Oct 18 19:55:32 bob pqact[10452]: Starting Up
> Oct 18 19:55:34 bob localhost[10460]: Connection from localhost
> Oct 18 19:55:34 bob localhost[10460]: Connection reset by peer
> Oct 18 19:55:34 bob localhost[10460]: Exiting
>
>nahenahe upstream:
> Oct 18 19:09:19 nahenahe bob[6995]: Connection from bob.hao.ucar.edu
> Oct 18 19:09:20 nahenahe bob[6995]: Connection reset by peer
> Oct 18 19:09:20 nahenahe bob[6995]: Exiting

This looks like the request was denied by the upstream site.  Is the
requesting machine allowed in the upstream machine's ldmd.conf?

>Is there a way to construct a request line with NO reg expressions..?

Yes, if you have a single, complete product header.  You would use it
in the request field.

>Or any other way you can think to make me witness a test file (of any sort)
>get transferred from nahenahe to bob?

You could:

o setup 'bob' to request the EXP feed from nahenahe with a simple text
  string as the pattern (i.e. no regular expression), say TESTFILE

  The request line would look like:

request EXP TESTFILE nahenahe.mtn.hawaii.gov

o use pqinsert(1) on nahenahe to put a "product" into the queue on nahenahe.
  I would use a simple text file whose name is the pattern you setup
  'bob' to request (e.g. TESTFILE).

  The pqinsert command line would look something like:

pqinsert -v -q /usr/local/ldm/data/ldm.pq -f EXP TESTFILE

Check the pqinsert(1) man page for more information.

>Or, if I used LDM4 on the Sol2.4 machine woudl that make it work perhaps?
>If so, do you know where I could get a copy of LDM4?  This is the last
>time I bug you--I realize what I'm asking of you is unsupported.

I strongly suggest sticking with LDM 5.

>OR, can you swear on a stack of bibles that once I have my Solaris2.7
>machine out there in hawaii that I truly will be able to have it
>relay back through the UCar firewall.. :-) :-)

I try to never swear on a stack of bibles ;-)

Do you have port 388 enabled through the firewall?

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden  Tue Oct 19 09:45:25 1999

Tom:

Perfect! Thanks --it works!! Using LDM5.0.6 on my Solaris2.4 machine
worked like a charm.  So, evidentally I had had everything else
configured properly, e.g. 388 was allowed through our firewall!
Thanks also for all of the other tidbits included in your answers
to me.  Thanks a million! Okay, make that TWO million! :-)

Bunny Pfau
NCAR High Altitude Observatory