Re: NOAAPORT receive system feeding LDM (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 18:10:49 -0400
From: Jim Koermer <address@hidden>
To: Michael W Dross <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: NOAAPORT receive system feeding LDM

Mike,

We just had a full Unisys NOAAPORT system installed here at Plymouth
State, a little over a week ago. Based on our preliminary experience, I
would like to offer a few cautions before feeding into the IDD at this
time:

        - The NOAAPORT 1 seems to lock up more frequently than I would
        like to see. Over the past ten days, I've had to reboot it
        on about four occasions. Until this stabilizes, this behavior
        would leave downstream sites with frequent periods of no data.

        - You would also need to have downstream users be more specific
        with the pqact.conf specifications or they might become
        overwhelmed with data. When I turned on the pqing ingest on one
        of my machines running LDM, about 2 GB of disk space got used up
        in about 10 hours and I wasn't even ingesting NOAAPORT II (GOES-
        E) on that machine. Disk storage from the current IDD feed ramps
        up much less quickly.

Once these issues are resolved, you could set up the pqing ingest
process on the your IDD server and I believe that it would then just
pass along the data automatically to downstream sites.

                                Jim
--
James P. Koermer             E-Mail: address@hidden
Professor of Meteorology     Office Phone: (603)535-2325