NOAAPORT receive system feeding LDM (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 13:55:55 -0400
From: Michael W Dross <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: NOAAPORT receive system feeding LDM

We have just installed a NOAAPORT receive system from Unisys that is has both
the NWSTG and GOES EAST channels.  My intention
is to feed the LDM with the output and make the data available over the IDD to a
university feed site (probably NIU) as a another feed source
for the IDD community.  We are connected to the internet via a T3 with
Sprintlink

My question is what is the best way to feed the LDM the NOAAPORT data?  How is
Unidata doing it?  I have quite a bit of flexibility in
distributing the data from the NP receive machines. FTP, NFS, Socket
communications.  Dan Vietor at Unisys had told me that the LDM
buffers could not keep up with a direct socket feed into the ldm and suggested
that we dump the NP data into 2 minute temporary files then
using `pqing` and ingest them in that way. I am doing something similar to that
now with the FOS data. I would rather feed it directly somehow.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know as my goal is to essentially
duplicate the NP feed from here that Unidata is send out.

Thanks!

Mike Dross
address@hidden