Re: 19991108: I need some assistance

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Unidata Support wrote:

> >To: address@hidden
> >From: McIDAS <address@hidden>
> >Subject: I need some assistance
>
> I'm sorry that this message may be too informal (and perhaps vague), but
> I am short on time at the moment.  For the past couple of months we've
> been having a weird problem with LDM where it shuts down for no apparent
> reason and if you start it, will shut itself down the next day.  Now, I
> haven't had the opportunity to get into it since It has been very hard
> lately to access this computer until now. I have no idea what it could
> be. Any assistance would be gladly appreciated.

Karli,

It may be a corrupt queue causing the problem. I would do:

% ldmadmin stop
% ldmadmin delqueue
% ldmadmin mkqueue
% ldmadmin start

If this doesn't solve the problem, run the ldm in verbose mode. Look in
the HOME directory for file ldmd.pid, then do:

% kill -USR2 `cat ldmd.pid`

This will put the ldm in verbose mode, do it again and it puts the ldm
into debug mode.  Do it once more, returns the ldm to silent mode.  A word
of caution, your log files will be much larger because every ldm action is
written to the ldm file.  So when the ldm dies, you should be able to find
out the problem.

Robb...