19991116: data problems

>From: "David Travis" <address@hidden>

David-

>Well we had our dual Mcidas systems up and running for a total of 2 days
>before things crashed.  We haven't received any new data since last Thursday
>(Nov. 11) and are baffled as to what's going on.  The LDM on the ingesting
>machine seems to be running but just not receiving any new data.  Could you
>take a look at Mcidas and see if you can see anything obvious?  We had to
>update the login passwords for that machine.

The problem is that the clock is wrong on mcidas.uww.edu (1 hour ahead)
so your LDM is always asking for future data (which the upstream feeder
doesn't have).  Here is the output from the date commmand:

[ldm@mcidas]$ date
Tue Nov 16 10:49:10 CST 1999
[ldm@mcidas]$ date -u
Tue Nov 16 16:49:18 UTC 1999
[ldm@mcidas]$

Right now, it is 15:47 UTC on my system.  You should reset the clock
and then restart the LDM.  It is probably a good idea to reboot
after setting the clock back.  You should also set up the time
service (xntpd) on your system so this problem will not bite you
in the future and your system clock will always be kept "on time".

>Also, I'd like to get the student (David Delgado) that's been working on
>this project added to the Unidata list server.  Could you please send me (or
>him if you have his e-mail nearby) the information on how to sign on?
>Thanks as usual for your help.

He can sign up to any of the Unidata mailing lists at:

I suggest at a minimum, he sign up for ldm-users and mcidas-x.

Don Murray
(303)497-8644                                                  P.O. Box 3000
Unidata WWW Service                        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/