Re: 19991116: Problem with ldmadmin scour Output from "cron" command (fwd)

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Unidata Support wrote:

> >To: address@hidden
> >From: address@hidden
> >Subject: Problem with ldmadmin scour Output from "cron" command (fwd)
>
> I don't know if I have been hacked or I messed something up,
> but ldmadmin scour run from cron or manually is producing
> the following on our Solaris/SPARC system.  It is trying
> to delete files in the user weather's home directory (like the
> Office51 directory).  I am running ldm-5.0.8, I copied over
> the old ldmadmin and scour.conf from the ldm-5.0.6 and I
> get the same output if I have anythinbg in scour.conf that
> it can try and delete.  Here is my scour.conf:
>
> # Directory                     Days-old        Optional-filename-pattern
>
> #~ldm/data/forecasts            2
> #~ldm/data/warnings             2               *.gdbm
> #~ldm/data/severe               2               *.wmo
> #~ldm/data/decoded              2               *.nc
> #~ldm/data/upperair             2               *.wmo
> #~ldm/data/GRIB                 2
> #~ldm/data/GRIB                 1               *eta.nc
> #~ldm/data/gempak               2
> #~ldm/data/surface              2
> #~ldm/data/campus/netcdf                1
> #~ldm/data/ispan                2
> ~ldm/data/gempak/hds            1
> ~ldm/data/gempak/profiler       1
> ~ldm/data/gempak/nwx/mos        1
> ~ldm/data/gempak/mos            1
> ~ldm/data/rawfiles              1               *.wmo
> ~ldm/data/rawfiles/fdus         1
> ~ldm/data/rawfiles/dfus/DFUS            1
> ~ldm/data/rawfiles/dfus/DFAK            1
> ~ldm/data/rawfiles/fdcn         1
> ~ldm/data/rawfiles/tcus         1
>
> I can't find any evidence of unauthorized logins, and I don't
> seem to have files missing.
>
> Any ideas?

Robert,

Here's a couple things to look at:

% cd ~ldm

Hopefully that's the ldm home directory.

Next,

% cd ~ldm/bin

Look at the scour script for the directories, use the -v flag and maybe
add a couple echo statements. I would look at the mod date first to see if
it was tampered. Also, you can do a diff between 5.0.6 and 5.0.8 version,
they should be the same.

Robb...