Re: 19991208: NWX data and returned ldmstats

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Unidata Support wrote:

> >From: Mike Trexler <address@hidden>
>
> Mike-
>
> Chiz is out this week, but I'll give my best shot at #1. Robb,
> please answer the second question.
>
> >1)  Much of the nwx data that we should be getting seems to
> >not come through.  Like the state forecast discussions and
> >zone forecasts among others.  I a little confused as to if
> >it's a problem with the data getting in through ldm (i.e. right
> >pqact entry) or if it's a problem with nwx or both.  Here
> >are the symptoms...open nwx and try to get a zone forecast...
> >ok so you select under public products the zone forecast.
> >Well, little red diamonds pop up all over the map, but when
> >you highlight them it give you a: "No data available for FXUS21 KMLB"
> >message, for example.  The same is true for other products,
> >however some other products work.  I checked to make sure
> >that my pqact file is the same as the example on the webpage
> >and it is.  Then I checked to look at the products it was
> >saving.  So now I think it looks like there have been some
> >changes that maybe I've missed.  For instance, I know that all
> >the products out of Raleigh should be RAH and not RDU now.
> >Soooo, I guess my question is...If I install the latest gempak
> >(need to do that anyway) will this all be taken care of??
>
> The version of the NWX pqact.conf actions on the web site corresponde
> to the configuration files in the latest patch level of the GEMPAK
> distribution.  So if you are behind on patch levels, then that
> could be one source of your problems.  If you upgrade to the latest
> version and still have problems, let us know.  One thing to note
> about the NWX selection widgets.  Some products (like MOS) will
> plot up station diamonds regardless of whether there is data for
> a particular station or not.  There is a station table for that
> particular product.  For other products, the station diamonds that
> get plotted are based on a search of available stations in the
> data files.    It think your problem is a set of out of date
> tables for NWX.  Again, try updating the distribution and see if
> that clears your problems.  If not, let us know.
>
> >2)  For a good while now I have gotten all my ldm stat emails
> >bounced back to me saying it can't find the server.  It looks
> >ok to me.  It sends to address@hidden. Anything
> >wrong with that??

Mike,

All the other sites sending stats are able to get through.  How about
trying these commands:

% nslookup  laraine.unidata.ucar.edu

% ldmping -i 5 -h shemp.unidata.ucar.edu

My guess is that your name server is not functioning correctly or it's
down.   Check with your system admin for detail advice.

Robb...