Re: 19991210: starting ldm

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Unidata Support wrote:

> >To: address@hidden
> >cc: address@hidden
> >From: "Dr. Pat Fitzpatrick" <address@hidden>
> >Subject: starting ldm
>

> After a several month sabbatical, we are attempting to start the ldm
> again. This time its on a new machine, weather.jsums.edu  (143.132.50.235)
> since the old santa.jsums.edu machine crashed. weather is using Red Hat
> Linux.
>
> We will be using plymouth as our primary provider, since we have been
> informed by Chris Clark that Northeast Louisiana will be down a for a few
> weeks. We have informed plymouth of this, and they have turned on the
> datatap.
>
> However, we are novices at this (and in fact we had a lot of help from
> UNIDATA to get santa.jsums.edu working a few years ago). The first step
> (as I understand it) is to type ldmadmin start, but we are getting the
> following:
>
> [ldm@weather ~/bin]$ ldmadmin start
> starting the LDM server...
>
> And then nothing happens. I don't think the ldm is actually working.

Pat,

I sure you followed the preInstall and the Binary or Source install
instructions on the LDM home page.

Since you stopped the ldm with a control c, make sure all the ldm
processes are gone first, kill them, ie

% ps ajx | grep ldm

% ldmadmin clean

Did you make the ldm queue first, ie

% ldmadmin mkqueue

What's the ldmd.log messages say, there at  ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log

If there are no log messages, try starting the ldm from the ldm home dir
by:

% bin/rpc.ldmd -vl - etc/ldmd.conf

The log messages will come to the screen.  Also there is some other debug
info at the beginning of the etc/ldmd.log file.

Robb...