Re: 19991214: What is the port 113 used for? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 14:31:03 -0700
From: Mike Schmidt <address@hidden>
To: Brian High <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: 19991214: What is the port 113 used for? (fwd)

Brian,

It's really much less information than finger would provide.  IDENT would
send only the owner of the process initiating the network connection.
Since most PC/Macs can't handle multiple simultaneous users, this does not
necessarily apply.  IDENT is mostly useful for helping debug connections to
services that allow anonymous access like the web and anonymous ftp and
occasionally useful tracking down hacking attempts.  An example from our
logfiles might look like the following where the second entry has sucessful
ident query information;

Dec 14 12:40:20 ftp.unidata wuftpd[9573]: connect from ncar.ucar.edu
Dec 14 12:40:20 ftp.unidata wuftpd[9578]: connect from address@hidden

mike