Re: 19991215: LDM Executables

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Unidata Support wrote:

> >To: <address@hidden>
> >From: "Roland Blanchard" <address@hidden>
> >Subject: LDM Executables
>
> I have recently rebuilt one of our ultra sparc 5's due to severe damage by
> an outside hacker.
> I upgraded from solaris 2.5.1 to 2.6.
>
> Can the executables that ran on Solaris 2.5.1 be used on 2.6?
> Our LDM software version is 5.0.4.

Roland,

I do that all the time, if fact the binary release for Solaris 2.7 was
actually built on 2.6.

> I cannot get rpc.ldmd to run.
> I also get an error from notifyme: RPC: Program not registered.

The executables are probably  corrupted. Also, the LDM queue needs to be
rebuilt.  I suggest rebuilding the LDM from source.  Sometimes it's better
to start over than trying to debug a weird type problem.

> Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong?
>
> When I installed the OS, I selected the End User System Support. I figured
> I could
> add additional packages later. (man pages, online docs etc.)
> I did not think that I needed the Developer Support or Entire Distribution
> at this point.

The only thing that comes to mind, make sure the rpc libraries were
loaded. I think that's almost standard though.

> I did preserve /usr/local/ldm but that was all I could save.

Hackers are a real PITA, I think there should be jail time associated with
this crime.

Robb...