Re: Where'd that P go...

On 12 Jan 2000, Luc Gosselin wrote:

> Hi,  I am the ESA at BTV NWS and Fred at ERH gave me your e-mail address as
> the
> point of contact for the weather service.
>
> I am trying to get an LDM ver 5.0.9 on Linux to communicate through the nic
> card.  I have read through all the e-mails that I can stand and I still have
> not
> found what I'm looking for.  Currently we use the LDM in the office to listen
> on
> a TTY port and use the pqing in the ldmd.conf to set it up.  Well,  as you
> know
> things are changing now and what I would like to do is listen on the nic
> (ether
> port) instead.  I have read a few bits and pieces about the pqing with a -P
> option but I noticed that the source code for pqing.c has these references
> rem'd
> out. So here's the big question.  If I un-rem all references to "net" and "P"
> (looks like two places) and recompile would I then be able to listen for
> incoming products on the nic.

Luc,

I'm currently at he AMS in Long Beach so the answer may be short. Look at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/ldm/3361

  Also do I have to insert another line in the
> /etc/services (i.e. ldm2  5005/tcp  ldm2) or is it in the rpc file?

I don't fully understand why you are using 5005,  look at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/ldmPreInstallList.html#s8

  Keep in
> mind this is for one single LDM box to listen to a data stream (nic card) that
> is sending products off and on all day long.  We already have other LDM's
> talking to one another but that is not what I need for this particular case.
> The data is in AFOS (WMO) format and is being sent via another process.
>
> I considered pqinsert but the configuration and amount of data is too much.
>
> I would really appreciate any info.  The newest info I see on the web is dated
> 1996 for the man pages and it is not in there.  So if you can point me in the
> right direction it would be appreciated for the set up.

The -P option was not documented, before my support time.  You could look
up vietor for more info.

Robb...