awipsldm digest: January 27, 2000 (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 00:00:03 -0500
From: The AWIPS LDM list digest <address@hidden>
To: awipsldm digest recipients <address@hidden>
Subject: awipsldm digest: January 27, 2000

Digest for AwipsLDM
The AWIPS LDM list Digest for Thursday, January 27, 2000.

1. Problems Installing LDM
2. Re: Problems Installing LDM
3. Re: Problems Installing LDM
4. Re: Problems Installing LDM

Subject: Problems Installing LDM
From: "Carl Morgan" <address@hidden>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 9:50:0

We're in the process of installing LDM here in Wilmington, NC. Referring to
the latest ERH ATN on installing LDM 5.08, I have run into a couple of
small hurdles.

Specifically, Step 5 wants me to type source_profile at the prompt, as user
LDM. Should this be source .profile?

I type source_profile, and get the message source_profile: Command not
found.

I tried using
/usr/lib/builtins/source .profile

Did this accomplish what I needed to accomplish?

Second...

Our LDAD is using Perl 4, and therefore I need to create a symbolic link to
point to Perl 5.

I can't link /usr/contrib/bin/perl to /usr/local/perl5/bin/perl because
/usr/contrib/bin/perl exists.

Can someone offer more explicit instructions so I can proceed with this
installation?

Thanks for any help!

Carl Morgan

We're in the process of installing LDM here in Wilmington, NC. Referring to
the latest ERH ATN on installing LDM 5.08, I have run into a couple of
small hurdles.

Specifically, Step 5 wants me to type source_profile at the prompt, as user
LDM. Should this be source .profile?  source .profile is correct.  The
command name is source and the input to the command is .profile.

I type source_profile, and get the message source_profile: Command not
found.

I tried using
/usr/lib/builtins/source .profile

Did this accomplish what I needed to accomplish?

Second...

Our LDAD is using Perl 4, and therefore I need to create a symbolic link to
point to Perl 5.

     Since none of the ldad perl scripts use Perl 4 (look at any of them
     and they call /usr/local/perl5/bin/perl, you could probably remove the
     existing link and recreate to point to perl5.  OR you could edit the
     ldm perl scripts (ldmadmin is the main one) and change the first line
     to /usr/local/perl5/bin/perl.

I can't link /usr/contrib/bin/perl to /usr/local/perl5/bin/perl because
/usr/contrib/bin/perl exists.

Can someone offer more explicit instructions so I can proceed with this
installation?

Thanks for any help!

Carl Morgan

---
You are currently subscribed to awipsldm as: address@hidden

From: Ken Waters <address@hidden>
Date: 27 Jan 2000 12:25:15 -0500

     Carl,

     It's possible that the install package you have may have had a script
     named "source_profile" in it.  Anyway, your best bet would be to
     source the user's default profile (source ~/.profile).  I should note
     that our LDAD does not have a .profile in user LDAD's home directory.
     We do, however, have a .cshrc which sets up the environment variables
     and such.

     I think Randy already suggested that you can change the "#!" line in
     the ldmadmin script to point to /usr/local/perl5/bin/perl rather than
     /usr/contrib/bin/perl.  Another suggestion would be to alter your
     $PATH environment (probably set in ~/.cshrc) and add
     /usr/local/perl5/bin BEFORE the /usr/contrib/bin entry.  This will
     force the use of Perl v. 5.003 rather than v. 4 for any Perl scripts
     which do not contain the "#!" line.  You'll still have to change any
     scripts, though, as Randy suggested that explictly call the older
     version of Perl using the "#!" line or perhaps in a cron.

     Ken Waters
     SRH SSD

From: "Carl Morgan" <address@hidden>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 13:8:14

We're up and running now. The source_profile problem was the result of an
incorrect path, and the Perl4/5 problem was corrected by renaming
/usr/contrib/bin/perl before creating the link to
/usr/local/Perl5/bin/perl.

Thanks to Fred Pierce, as well as those who responded here!

---

END OF DIGEST

---
You are currently subscribed to awipsldm as: address@hidden