Re: Status

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Ekaterina Radeva wrote:

> Robb,
>
> This is great. Really good news. As far as I understand from your message,
> the Unidata Program Center is going to take care of the routing
> (redistribution) of our data ?

Ekaterina et al,

After some discussion here, there are some technical reasons why UPC can't
distribute the GEM data through the main IDD system.  It's with the usage
of the EXP feedtype,  some of the other sites also use the EXP
feedtype through out the IDD for many other data purposes. There probably
will be a conflict within the data distribution that may cause some sites
to get data that they are not expecting.  This may not seem to be a major
issue, but some sites are near their capacity on receiving data and this
could cause a problem. There are other feedtype conflict issues also.  At
this time there are no other reasonable good LDM feedtpes to use.

The good news is that, within the next 6 months the UPC is going to
release another version of the LDM with a GEM feedtype.  The LDM is not
very flexible with feedtypes, they are hard code for performance reasons.
At this time we can revisit this distribution issue to see the best method
of distributing the GEM data. So in the mean time, CMC can distribute the
GEM data to individual sites as needed.  As Linda Miller stated, she will
help in getting the word out about the availability of the GEM data.

For you info, here's the pqact.conf entry used to store the data.

#
# Canadian GEM data
EXP

CMC_GEM_reg_.*_.*_([12][0-9][0-9][0-9])([0-1][0-9])([0-3][0-9])([0-2][0-9])_(.*).grib
        FILE    data/gem/\1\2\3\4_\5.cmcgem

Or, are we supposed to contact the
> participating universities directly ?

The site will contact you about entering an allow statement in the
ldmd.conf file, similar to the one for the shemp machine.

Robb...