Re: 20000216: [Fwd: LDM version 5.0.9] (fwd)

> Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 08:37:36 -0700
> From: Unidata Support <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: 20000216: [Fwd: LDM version 5.0.9]
>
> >To: address@hidden
> >From: Jeff Ator <address@hidden>
> >Subject: [Fwd: LDM version 5.0.9]

> --------------974A8FFEAD727DD0DC8AA4DA
>
> Here is some further information that might help you diagnose the
> problem in #1 below.  Every time pqexpire runs (at 51 minutes after each
> hour, via cron) it produces the following output:
>
> Feb 14 19:51:00 nco3n03 pqexpire[21594]: Starting Up
> Feb 14 19:52:08 nco3n03 pqexpire[21594]: Exiting
> Feb 14 19:52:08 nco3n03 pqexpire[21594]: > Up since:
> 20000214195100.898
> Feb 14 19:52:08 nco3n03 pqexpire[21594]: > Queue usage (bytes):28222800
> Feb 14 19:52:08 nco3n03 pqexpire[21594]: >          (nregions):   48895
> Feb 14 19:52:08 nco3n03 pqexpire[21594]: > nprods deleted 0
>
> The thing to note is that the "Queue usage" values that are printed, in
> terms of both bytes and nregions, stay unchanged with each hourly run of
> pqexpire!?  This seems to indicate that only around 28.2Mb of the
> available queue size are ever being used, even though (as explained in
> the original message), the queue was originally allocated with 100Mb of
> space.  This would explain why we are seeing the "Deleting oldest to get
> a queue slot" messages after only 6 hours (and why pqexpire thus has
> nothing to delete if it is only looking to purge products older than 12
> hours!), but the question then becomes "Why is only such a small
> percentage of the available queue space being utilized?".
>
> I would appreciate any insight you can provide on this perplexing
> issue.  Thanks very much!
>
> Sincerely,
> Jeff
>
> --
> __________________________________
>
> Jeffrey B. Ator
>
> National Centers for
>    Environmental Prediction
> Central Operations
> 5200 Auth Road, Rm. 307
> Camp Springs, MD  20746
>
> Phone:  (301) 763-8000, Ext. 7104
> Fax:    (301) 763-8381
>
> E-Mail:  address@hidden
>
> __________________________________
>
> --------------974A8FFEAD727DD0DC8AA4DA

> Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 17:54:56 -0500
> From: Jeff Ator <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: LDM version 5.0.9
>
> Hello,
>
> We have been running LDM version 5.0.5 on an ORIGIN 200 (IRIX64)
> platform and are now moving our data ingest processing to an AIX 4.3
> platform.  We have downloaded and installed LDM version 5.0.9 on this
> new machine and have noticed a few differences that we could not find
> explanations for in the RELEASE NOTES nor in the online support archive:
>
> 1.  The queue size needed to store the same amount of incoming data
> seems to have dramatically increased between the two versions.  Under
> [...]

Hi Jeff,

A brief background: the LDM queue is a memory mapped file, using the mmap
function.  mmap is pretty low level and thus system dependent.  Also, AIX (and
Linux) allocate memory differently than the other OSs we support - they allocate
in 'regions'.

Not many of our users use AIX.  It's entirely possible that there's a problem
related to
mmap under AIX.  One test you could run for us would be to load 5.0.9 on your
IRIX
machine.   Presumably it would run fine, and we could rule out your
configuration
as a problem.  Would you be willing to do that?

Anne

address@hidden                  P.O. Box 3000
(303) 497-8677                    Boulder, CO  80307