[Fwd: Re: troubles stopping ldm with ldmadmin on linux] (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 14:10:13 -0600
From: Anne Wilson <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: [Fwd: Re: troubles stopping ldm with ldmadmin on linux]

I'm posting this for Robert:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: troubles stopping ldm with ldmadmin
on linux
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 16:59:36 +0100
From: Robert Mullenax <address@hidden>
To: Anne Wilson <address@hidden>

In my opinion just another good reason that
Unidata did not
jump on the "Let's dump every form of Unix for
Linux" bandwagon.
I myself had to learn Unix on my own and I serve
as a forecaster
and maintain our Solaris systems (Intel and Sparc)
and our web
pages for data access, plus Safety Officer, and
balloon performance
analyst.  I don' have the time or the skills to
have to rebuild
kernels or hack and tweak on Linux all the time, I
did
try it in the beginning for my copy of Solaris
arrived and
it was just too much hassle (and too many little
bugs) compared
to Solaris which was install, get the Unidata
stuff going
and then leave it alone.  All you have to do is
look at the
ldm-users e-mail archives and look at the troubles
the Linux
guys have.  I guess it is not trouble if you are a
full-time
sys admin and have been using Unix for 10 years,
but I don't
fit in that category.  I guess I have gone on a
lot of these please
don't go all to Linux diatribes recently..

Robert Mullenax
New Mexico State Univ/NSBF