Re: Portmapper Problems

On Fri, 19 May 2000, Ken Waters wrote:

> We are trying to set up a new primary LDM machine, running on Redhat
> Linux 6.0.  This machine was successfully running LDM just fine a few
> weeks ago.  Since then, several changes were made to it relating to
> firewall installation.
>
> Now, the LDM does not seem to start correctly.  It "hangs" on the
> 'ldmadmin start' command.  I double-checked all the root-level
> pre-installation steps (/etc/services, /etc/rpc, /etc/syslog.conf, etc.)
> and they are all okay.  Now, going on to your troubleshooting section,
> when I issue the "rpcinfo -p <hostname>" command, I get an error that
> rpc is unable to access the portmapper.  I issue the "rpcinfo -d 300029
> 4" command but that does not seem to fix the problem.

Ken,

I believe your problem stems from your Firewall configurations. First,
port 388 needs to be open for TCP/UDP packets for sites trying to access
the LDM server machine. That's the basic communication needs for the LDM,
plus the LDM needs to access the portmapper so it can determine which port
it's using.  Your invocation "rpcinfo -p" failure indicates that at one
Firewall configuration is not correct.

I would review the Firewall documentation to see if there are
other configuration/flags the need to be set to permit proper
communication between the LDM processes and the outside world.  Since, I
have never installed a Firewall I don't know the details and each Firewall
package is different.

Robb...