Re: 20000626: steps in the binary installation of the LDM

"Patrick S. Market" wrote:

> Anne:
>
> Thank you for your reply.  I believe we are now simply awaiting the
> response to our query to address@hidden for a data feed
> site and we'll be nearly in business.  Does that take long?
>
> Also, I have one other question.  We are, at the moment, largely
> a GEMPAK/GARP shop.  How exactly is the data decoded into its various
> forms.  I have looked at the sample pqact.conf file at
>
>   http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/pqact/decoders.tbl
>
> which contains lines such as
>
>   /usr/local/ldm/decoders/dcgrib -d data/gempak/logs/dcgrib.log
>
> Yet, there are no decoders in my /usr/local/ldm/decoders path.
> Do I have to create static links in that /usr/local/ldm/decoders
> directory to the decoders that I have residing elsewhere on the
> system?  Or I have made an error somewhere along the way?
>
> Thank you again for your help.
>
> Pat
>
> --
> Dr. Patrick S. Market
> Dept. of Soil & Atmospheric Sciences
> University of Missouri-Columbia                 Phone:  (573) 882 - 1496
> 203 Gentry Hall                                 Fax:    (573) 884 - 5133
> Columbia, MO 65211 USA          E-mail: address@hidden

Pat,

No, I don't think you've made any errors.  You have a choice about where to have
your decoders and how to tell pqact where to find them.  You could make a link
in the decoders directory, as you say.  Or, you could copy your decoder to the
appropriate directory.  I think most people do a third option: simply edit the
pqact.conf file and put the path to the decoder right into the configuration
file.

If you edit the file, you need to make sure that  you don't violate the syntax
rule that you must use tabs, not spaces, in the appropriate places.    I.e., the
syntax is
The sample pqact.conf file should already be set up this way.

I just spoke with the person who is working on getting your feed set up.  He
thinks it should be available by noon tomorrow.

Anne

address@hidden                  P.O. Box 3000
                                  Boulder, CO  80307