Re: 20000626: steps in the binary installation of the LDM (fwd)

"Patrick S. Market" wrote:

> Anne:
>
> Thanks for the info.  Now I have a new problem.  I stopped the LDM
> so that I might change the pqact.conf file (which is still not quite right,
> but that's another matter).  when I went through the
>
> ldmadmin mkqueue
> ldmadmin start
>
> process, I got the message
>
> starting the LDM server...
>
> afterwhich the system just proceeded to sit there, with both the cpu and
> disk activity icons showing almost no activity.  eventually, it exited
> with a message (which, of course, I failed to copy and paste somewhere).
>
> Any ideas?  I am repeating the process now in hopes of generating the exit
> message.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Pat

Hi Pat,

I'm guessing but perhaps there was a previous abnormal termination so that the
lock and pid files weren't released properly.   I would suggest starting from
scratch:
    ldmadmin stop
    ldmadmin clean         // gets rid of lock files
    ldmadmin delqueue        // delete the queue
    ldmadmin mkqueue       // make a new queue
    ldmadmin start

Also, if everything's running correctly you don't need to stop the ldm to have
it reread pqact.conf.  Instead, do:
    ldmadmin pqactHUP

Also, take a look at the log.  You can use:
    ldmadmin tail
to see the last few lines of the log.   I think that may only output the last
10 lines.  If you want to see, say, the last 40 lines of the log, do:
    tail  -n 40  ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log

If this doesn't help, be sure to send me any error messages or relevant log
messages.

Anne

address@hidden                  P.O. Box 3000
                                  Boulder, CO  80307