Re: 20000626: steps in the binary installation of the LDM (fwd)

"Patrick S. Market" wrote:

> Anne:
>
> This doesn't seem to have worked.  I did as you instructed, and issued
> the command to restart the ldm.  when I did so, it sat and just seemed
> to hang for well over 30 minutes.  I then <ctrl>C'd the process and typed:
>
> I am LDM =>ldmadmin stop
> stopping the LDM server...
> Jun 30 21:31:27 UTC bergeron.snr.missouri.edu : make_lockfile: another
> ldmadmin
> process exists
> I am LDM =>
>
> Does this have anything to do with not seeming to be able to contact my
> upstream site?  :
>
> I am LDM =>notifyme -vl - -h "upstream site"
> Jun 30 21:27:35 notifyme[2758]: Starting Up: upstream site:
> 20000630212735.651 T
> S_ENDT {{ANY,  ".*"}}
> Jun 30 21:27:38 notifyme[2758]: NOTIFYME(upstream site): 13:
> gethostbyname(upstr
> eam site): lookup failed
>
> ^CJun 30 21:27:53 notifyme[2758]: Interrupt
> Jun 30 21:27:53 notifyme[2758]: exiting
>
> Would having access to the machine help you?
>
> Pat

Hi Pat,

Let's give this another round before I try logging in to your machine.

First, from looking at your command line prompt, is your ldm user account called
'LDM'?   This could cause problems, as UNIX is case sensitive.  The user account
should be 'ldm'.

No, the problem with the ldm hanging is not related to not being able to contact
your upstream site.   First I'll address the ldm hanging problem.

The ldm should start up pretty quickly.  If nothing has happened for over a few
minutes, go ahead and kill it.  Have you looked at your logs?  A very common
reason
for the ldm hanging on startup is an error in one of the conf files.  This would
probably show up in the logs.  Please check them now and send me the results.

However, now I believe your ldm is in a 'bad' state.   Do 'ldmadmin clean' to
remove the lock files that weren't removed due to the abnormal shutdown.

The 'notifyme' problem is that "upstream site" is not the actual name of the
machine that is your upstream feed.  Replace the string "upstream site" with the
name of your upstream host. I.e., it should look somethink like:
    notifyme -vl - -h imogene.unidata.ucar.edu
Here, imogene.unidata.ucar.edu is the name of my machine here.  (Don't bother
to do
a 'notifyme' to imogene - I'm not running an ldm right now.)

Give these things a try.   I will be here for at least 20 more minutes.

Anne

address@hidden                  P.O. Box 3000
                                  Boulder, CO  80307