Re: 20000626: steps in the binary installation of the LDM (fwd)

"Patrick S. Market" wrote:

> [...]
> /usr/local/ldm
> I am LDM =>ls -l logs
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 ldm            18 Jun 26 11:40 logs -> /var/data/ldm/logs
>
> Step 3:
> ======
>
> This seems fine also, although ldmd.log is the only file there.
>
> I am LDM =>cd ~ldm/logs
> /usr/local/ldm/logs
> I am LDM =>ls -l ldmd.*
> -rw-r--r--   1 ldm           484 Jul  5 14:37 ldmd.log
> I am LDM =>
>
> Step 4:
> ======
>
> hupsyslog appeared to execute quickly and successfully, although
> the command line
>
> sudo tail /var/log/messages
>
> did not work.  The system here does not seem to recognize 'sudo' as a command,
> nor is there a man page for it.  I became root and went to /var/log
> and found no 'messages' file residing there.  There also doesn't seem to be
> an entry like what you specify in my 'syslog' file.
>
> Step 5:
> ======
>
> I did this twice resulting in the total ldmd.log contribution of:
>
> I am LDM =>more ldmd.log
> Jul  5 14:26:45 bergeron.snr.missouri.edu test[9988]: err
> Jul  5 14:26:45 bergeron.snr.missouri.edu test[9990]: warning
> Jul  5 14:26:45 bergeron.snr.missouri.edu test[9992]: notice
> Jul  5 14:26:45 bergeron.snr.missouri.edu test[9994]: info
> Jul  5 14:37:49 bergeron.snr.missouri.edu test[10044]: err
> Jul  5 14:37:49 bergeron.snr.missouri.edu test[10046]: warning
> Jul  5 14:37:49 bergeron.snr.missouri.edu test[10048]: notice
> Jul  5 14:37:49 bergeron.snr.missouri.edu test[10050]: info
> I am LDM =>
>
> Step 6:
> ======
>
> It doesn't appear that the ldm messages are being sent to the system log.
> I don't have a /var/log/messages file, although I do have a /var/adm/messages
> file.  Still, this doesn't contain any entires of the like you describe
> at the end of your #4 above.
>
> Also,       sudo grep rpc.ldmd /var/log/messages
> did not work for the reasons I cited in my Step 4 above.  I hope this is
> helping.
>
> Could it be my syslog.conf file?
>
> #
> *.err;kern.notice;auth.notice;user.none;local0.none
> /dev/sys
> msg
> *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit;user.none;local0.none
> /var/adm/messages
>
> Three tabs separate the entries on each line, as with the *.alert lines
> beneath these ones.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Pat
>
> --
> Dr. Patrick S. Market
> Dept. of Soil & Atmospheric Sciences
> University of Missouri-Columbia                 Phone:  (573) 882 - 1496
> 203 Gentry Hall                                 Fax:    (573) 884 - 5133

Hi Pat,

Well, yes!  There appears to be a problem in your syslog.conf file.   I do not
see the critical entry:
        local0.debug       /usr/local/ldm/logs/ldmd.log
This is the entry that tells the syslog daemon to log messages from the ldm to
the ldmd.log file.  You
need to add that one entry.   Please look again at the page
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/ldmPreInstallList.html
especially the part that says:

> The LDM uses the system logging daemon, syslogd, to write error messages by
> the local0 facility.
>
>             Add the following entries to file /etc/syslog.conf
>                   local0.debug       /usr/local/ldm/logs/ldmd.log

Also, yes, your system log would be /var/adm/messages.  (My Linux box uses
/var/log.)

And, you may not have any ldmd.log.X files yet, but you will.  The logs are
rotated daily or when the ldm
is restarted or on command.  The ldm keeps up to 4 backup logs, and cycles
through them, throwing away
the oldest upon rotation.

Add the required lines to you syslog.conf, then try to start the ldm again.
This should produce some
clues in your log file.  Let me know how it turns out.

Anne

address@hidden                  P.O. Box 3000
                                  Boulder, CO  80307