Re: 20000707: NCDC requests special feedtype

>From: address@hidden
>Subject: Feedtype

Hi,

> Can I request a special feedtype for NCDC?  It would be very helpfull to
> keep the data streams separate.

Although there are only a limited number (31) of feedtypes in the
current LDM, if you need a new feedtype only for internal NCDC use,
you may be able to just reuse one of the existing feedtypes.  The
feedtype EXP was created for just this kind of use.  If it's just for
NCDC internal use, you can also reuse a current feedtype that you
aren't using for anything else, e.g. SPARE.

If instead you need a new feedtype for general distribution of
products across the Internet, we have to be careful about assigning
them until the LDM protocols permit a much larger number of feedtypes.
In this case, if you use EXP you have to make sure your product IDs
don't conflict with those of other EXP products.  You would also need
to be careful about using another feedtype, to make sure it wouldn't
clash with use of that feedtype by other LDM sites.

The latest released version of the LDM software, 5.0.11 provides new
neutral aliases for all 31 existing feedtypes as well as some new
assigned names for a few of them.  We have plans for some of the new
feedtypes, but there are still a few left unassigned.  If you have a
use that would benefit education and research as well as NCDC
objectives, we might be able to provide a feedtype with an assigned
name for that use in the next release.  Please let us know if this is
what you have in mind ...

--Russ