20000726: Unidata LDM

>From:  Randy Provan <address@hidden>

Randy,

>I forgot to talk to you about your met exchange system.  We are still
>looking at the mechanism by which we share met data with between our
>Army installations, support organizations and interested 3rd parties.

Our LDM (Local Data Management) system is what you should be looking at.
It has nothing to do with weather data per se.  It is a package that
is used to move data "products" from machine-to-machine and is the
basis of our Internet Data Distribution system.

>When we last talked it sounded like your system tracked who had what,

I think that it really is.

>who needed what and who was allowed what.  Is the software public domain
>or are you restricted to sharing within the University community?

It is copyrighted software that is freely available.  It is in use literally
around the world.

>If it
>is shareable, do you have a document describing the software and setup
>requirements?

The best thing for starters is for you to read through our web pages
that describe the LDM and our IDD:

Unidata Home Page:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/
  Software
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/Software.html
    LDM
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/index.html

Unidata Home Page:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/
  Software
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/Software.html
    Relevant Links, IDD
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/idd/index.html

>Let me know a little about your software and I'll give
>you a call on my dime (actually the Army's).

Check out the web pages and let's talk if/when you have questions.

Tom