Re: 20000802: Gilbert's chomping at the bit

>To: General Support <address@hidden>
>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>
>Subject: LDM: Can I install LDM 5.1.1? And...

Hi Gilbert,

> I don't know if Anne or someone else handles requests like this, but...I
> have heard nothing but great things about the new LDM product queue with
> the new LDM 5.1.1. Improved efficiency and speed...hey, I like that. I see
> it on your anonymous FTP server and I'd like permission to install it and
> run it on my primary (or at least my backup) machines.

You're free to try 5.1.1, but we're about to release 5.1.2beta which
has some improvements over 5.1.1.  The only thing holding up the
release of 5.1.2beta is building and testing it on a few other
platforms than Solaris.  It will probably be ready within a week.  In
particular, it has the following improvements over 5.1.1:

 - better management of the list of free regions in the product queue,
   so that even if this list grows large, it won't slow product queue
   operations down much;

 - ability to create and use queues larger than 2 Gbytes on 64-bit
   architectures.

And like 5.1.1, there is no need to run pqexpire, since space is
recovered in the product queue as needed.

> I am running Linux Redhat 6.2, and someone I know who is running it on
> that platform is glowing about it. Well, I know it's still under
> development, but if it doesn't have a history of crashing, I'd like to go
> for it and beta-test it too.

The latest version compiled for 64-bit platforms and huge queues had a
history of crashing until the day before yesterday, when we fixed a
bug that only relates to 64-bit platforms.  It's possible that was
"the last bug", but more extensive testing would make me more
confident that it's ready for release.

Incidentally, we don't have access to a version of Linux on a 64-bit
architecture, such as Linux/IA-64 (not released yet?) or Linux on
Alphas, so we haven't been able to test on that kind of platform.

> And since I don't say it enough, on an unrelated topic...thanks, as
> always, for all the support you've given me.

You're welcome!  We'll let you know as soon as 5.1.2beta is available.

--Russ