Re: 20000802: Gilbert's chomping at the bit

Hi Russ,

> You're free to try 5.1.1, but we're about to release 5.1.2beta which
> has some improvements over 5.1.1.  The only thing holding up the
> release of 5.1.2beta is building and testing it on a few other
> platforms than Solaris.  It will probably be ready within a week.  In
> particular, it has the following improvements over 5.1.1:
>
>  - better management of the list of free regions in the product queue,
>    so that even if this list grows large, it won't slow product queue
>    operations down much;
>
>  - ability to create and use queues larger than 2 Gbytes on 64-bit
>    architectures.

Neat! OK, I will hold off until 5.1.2 comes up.

> And like 5.1.1, there is no need to run pqexpire, since space is
> recovered in the product queue as needed.

Great.

> The latest version compiled for 64-bit platforms and huge queues had a
> history of crashing until the day before yesterday, when we fixed a
> bug that only relates to 64-bit platforms.  It's possible that was
> "the last bug", but more extensive testing would make me more
> confident that it's ready for release.
>
> Incidentally, we don't have access to a version of Linux on a 64-bit
> architecture, such as Linux/IA-64 (not released yet?) or Linux on
> Alphas, so we haven't been able to test on that kind of platform.

Pardon my horrible ignorance, but I don't think that LinuX RH 6.2 on a PP
450 is 64 bit. If you do need a RH 6.2 machine to try it on, let me know!

> > And since I don't say it enough, on an unrelated topic...thanks, as
> > always, for all the support you've given me.
>
> You're welcome!  We'll let you know as soon as 5.1.2beta is available.

Thanks! I will wait until then. Although I am happy with my current
version, with motherlode and UIUC both at 5.1.1, I'm seeing DRAMATIC
improvements in data speed and quality arriving to my machine
(weather.admin.niu.edu). I want that to be translated to my leaf nodes!

> Re: 20000802: Gilbert's chomping at the bit

Chomp chomp! :-)

Internet: address@hidden    (My opinions only!)                     ******
E-mail: address@hidden                                 ***