Re: Rpc.ldmd processes don't die right away in 5.1.2beta1... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 01:17:32 -0500 (CDT)
From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>
To: James D. Marco <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: Rpc.ldmd processes don't die right away in 5.1.2beta1...

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, James D. Marco wrote:

> Hi ho,
>       One quick note on this.  Unix internal disk structures do not actually
> allow a file with an open filehandle to be deleted.  Soooo, a product queue
> that is deleted while an update is in progress is not a fatal "file not found"
> error.  As soon as the active process releases the link, the system will do
> the actual deletion.
>       The consequences to the LDM stuff can be a profound loss of disk space
> if it is started and stopped too quickly, or, an active LDM process is
> killed in a critical region, sometimes resulting in a zombie process. (I
> haven't actually tried to intentionally damage it like this.)

Oh I have, unintentionally. It requires you to shut off the LDM and reboot
the system!

> If you try to
> make a new queue, it may report a shortage of disk space even though the
> system reports enough room on the partition. If you have a large queue,
> wait at least 10-15 seconds before starting up again to avoid this. If
> your system is busy, wait longer.

>       Caution dictates a system shutdown to fix this if it reports a
> zombie in the system process table (though, I've managed to successfully
> kill and recover from some Linux zombies.)

Yep. However, I think it is something new with 5.1.2 that causes this on
Linux. My data feeds haven't changed, and this only has happened with
5.1.2. Again, no biggie. It's probably something to do with the new queue.

Hey, wasn't that all day-long METAR outage fun today? Yikes!

Internet: address@hidden    (My opinions only!)                     ******
E-mail: address@hidden                                 ***