Re: ldm problem under OSF

>To: address@hidden
>Subject: Re: 200008008: ldm problem under OSF

Harry,

> I have found the problem.  From looking at the code, the queueing
> system uses the timestamp of the time a product was received to
> determine the order of the queue.  sunny is a DS-10 and is so fast
> that it can end up with two products in the queue with exactly the
> same receive time (yes, to the nearest microsecond).  This causes
> any program that reads the queue to end up in an infinite loop.

Aha!  Thanks for the info.  I had thought that successive calls to
gettimeofday() would return monotonically increasing values, but
that's not true on fast platforms.

I encountered a similar infinite loop when I first added the code for
indexing free regions by extent, because two free regions could have
the same extent.  So maybe I can fix the problem the same way I did
there ...

--Russ