Re: 20000818: syslog error message

"Pandya, Rajul E." wrote:

> Hi Anne,
>
> Please say hello to Sally for me.
>
> Thanks very much for your help. Here is the file:
> ______
> # syslog configuration file.
> #
> # This file is processed by m4 so be careful to quote (`') names
> # that match m4 reserved words.  Also, within ifdef's, arguments
> # containing commas must be quoted.
> #
> *.err;kern.notice;auth.notice;user.none;local0.none             /dev/console
> *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit;user.none;local0.none
> /var/adm/messages
>
> *.alert;kern.err;daemon.err                     operator
> *.alert                                         root
>
> *.emerg                                         *
>
> # if a non-loghost machine chooses to have authentication messages
> # sent to the loghost machine, un-comment out the following line:
> #auth.notice                    ifdef(`LOGHOST', /var/log/authlog, @loghost)
>
> mail.debug                      ifdef(`LOGHOST', /var/log/syslog, @loghost)
>
> #
> # non-loghost machines will use the following lines to cause "user"
> # log messages to be logged locally.
> #
> ifdef(`LOGHOST', ,
> user.err                                        /dev/sysmsg
> user.err                                        /var/adm/messages
> user.alert                                      `root, operator'
> user.emerg                                      *
> )
> local0.debug       /usr/local/ldm/logs/ldmd.log

Hi Rajul,

This file is only read by the syslog daemon, not
the ldm.  So you wouldn't see such a message by
stopping and restarting the ldm.

Offhand the file looks ok (taking into account
that mailers may change files as part of
reformatting them), so you'll need to debug this
yourself.  It must be a syntax error somewhere.
Some syslog daemons require tabs instead of
spaces, so that's always something to try.

I'd try messing around with the local0.debug
line.  You can test your changes by stopping and
restarting the syslog daemon.  On Solaris you can
stop and restart the syslog daemon by executing
        /etc/init.d/syslog stop
        /etc/init.d/syslog start

Good luck!  If you need more help let me know.
Also, I'd be interested to know what you find.

Anne

                                  Boulder, CO  80307
Unidata WWW server
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/