Re: 20000821: LDM startup problems

Unidata Support wrote:

> [...]

Hi Tom,

(That pqact.conf file didn't transfer very well!)

A very common reason the ldm hangs a start up is a
syntax error in either ldmd.conf or pqact.conf.
Often a syntax error will be reported in the log,
but not always.  Even though your pqact.conf
worked on your Sun, it may have problems under a
different OS as the regular expression packages
vary across machines. Oh, but now I see that your
pqact was probably not started...

In looking at your ldmd.conf on sirocco, I see
that everything is commented out except the line
that allows unidata to connect.  That's probably
not what you want.   You probably want to
uncomment the lines that have 'cacimbo' host names
to allow cacimbo to feed you.  You definately want
to uncomment the 'exec pqact.conf' line, and 'exec
pqbinstats'.  However, with version 5.1.1 (as you
have) you don't need to uncomment the pqexpire
line.

Also, just to eliminate a possible variable, I
suggest you separate the fields in your ldmd.conf
file entries with tabs instead of spaces. (It's
not a problem for all machines, but it is for
some.)

Also, you should ensure the variable LDMHOME is
set:
        setenv LDMHOME /usr/local/ldm
I'd add a line to your .cshrc file to ensure this
is always set.  Also, add /usr/local/ldm/bin to
your path variable so that the ldm executables
will be found.

Try these and let me know what happens.  Since
pqact was never invoked, we don't yet know if
there are problems with it or not.

Anne

                                  Boulder, CO  80307
Unidata WWW server