Re: 20000821: LDM startup problems

"Thomas L. Mote" wrote:

> Anne:
>
> I was able to get things working. On the new machine, I had
> to do a binary install of 5.0.8. I must have done something
> wrong when I built 5.1.1. (For the life of me, I can't
> think of what it might be. Everything seemed to go
> smoothly.)
>
> On my old machine, i had to give the IP address of the new
> machine in the ALLOW line. I have no idea why. Possibly it
> has to do with running NIS+ on that system and not having
> the new machine in the hosts map.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Tom

Hi Tom,

I'm glad you got things working.  Thank you for
the update.

One thing you could try on your old machine is the
nslookup command:
        nslookup <machineName>     or
        nslookup <IP Address>
This will give you some idea of whether your name
server is working like you expect.  If the results
aren't what you would like, depending on how your
system is configured you could possibly solve the
problem by entering the informtion in /etc/hosts.
But, hey, if it's working to your satisfaction,
who cares?

Anne

                                  Boulder, CO  80307
Unidata WWW server