Re: 20000822: Backup LDM server

Unidata Support wrote:

> [...]

Hi Angel,

Jeff, the person who handles setting up connections between sites, is out of
town.  He will set up a backup feed for you when he returns, on Friday or
Monday.

In the meantime, I will describe to you how failover works.

'failover' is a script to be run from cron.  We advise that you set it up to
run every 20 minutes.  It's really pretty simple - the script tests whether
your primary feed is alive.  If not, it tests your failover feed and will
switch you over if possible.  If you are already feeding from your failover
site, it will test the primary and switch you back when it can.  For more
detailed information look at the comments at the top of the 'failover' script.

Here's what the LDM site manager's guide says about how to set up the failover:

 If you are using the new ldmfail script for automated failover on the IDD, you
must make
 two copies of the ldmd.conf file. The only differences in the two files will
be the request line
 for your upstream feed, and the names of the files. One file should be named
ldmd. primary ,
 where primary is the fully qualified hostname of your primary upstream feed
host (e.g.,
 ldmd.primary.foo.edu ). The request line in this file should ask for data from
that host. The
 second file should be named ldmd. failover , where failover is the fully
qualified hostname
 of your failover upstream feed host (e.g., ldmd.failover.bar.edu ). The
request line in this file
 should ask for data from the failover host.

To see another more succint version of the same instructions (from the LDM
workshop) take a look at the section called "Configuring lmdfail" at
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/ws/idd_config.html#s0

Anne

                                  Boulder, CO  80307