Re: 20000824: ldmsend problem

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, Robb Kambic wrote:

> David,
>
> The ldmsend doesn't have the robustness of a LDM server, it's a one time
> shot deal. If a packet is missing or something, then it fails. I would
> recommend using pqinsert, that puts the product into the local queue and
> therefore has the robustness of the LDM server, ie if necessary to resend
> the product.  I speculate that the problem you are seeing is that the
> network conditions have deteriorated to the point that some packets are
> missings or the acknowledgement take to long to be returned.

Hmmm.. thanks for the info.  I hadn't realized that it was
non-reliable.   Network connection seems to be fine...just
ran some tests.  Machine load seems to be higher than normal
though so that might account for it.

Running a whole ldm server is overkill for what I'm trying
to do.  ldmsend was more lightweight.  I had to move output
from a program that would only run on a certain machine to
our main data server and ldmsend seemed like an easy way.
(NFS cross mounting was not possible in this case for
various reasons.)

Actually, now I only need to use that data anymore on the
machine it is generated on, so I'm just keeping it local now.

Thanks for the helpful info.

 David Wojtowicz, Sr. Research Programmer/Systems Manager
 Department of Atmospheric Sciences Computer Services
 email: address@hidden  phone: (217)333-8390