Re: Problems building 5.1.2 on HPUX 10.2

Gregory Grosshans wrote:

> If you wouldn't mind checking into it on Monday that would be great.  The DA
> and DS generate code for the various HP RISC processors and can enhance
> performance or allow portability.  I've cut the section from the man page of
> cc below.
>
> I agree with your thoughts about the complaints of the ansi c compiler, but
> whats unusual is I specified the ansi c compiler.
>
> Thanks,
> Gregg
>
>        +DAarchitecture   Generate code for a particular version of the
>                              PA-RISC architecture specified.  Also specifies
>                              which version of the HP-UX math library to link
>                              when you have specified -lm.
>
>                              Note Object code generated for PA-RISC 2.0 will
>                              not execute on PA-RISC 1.1 systems.
>
>                              To generate code compatible across PA_RISC 1.1
>                              and 2.0 workstations and servers, use the
>                              +DAportable option.  For best performance use
>                              +DA with the model number or architecture where
>                              you plan to execute the program.  See the file
>                              /opt/langtools/lib/sched.models for a list of
>                              model numbers and their PA-RISC architecture
>                              designations.
>
>                              If you do not specify this option, the default
>
>  Hewlett-Packard Company            - 8 - HP-UX Release 10.32.30: April 1999
>
>  cc(1)                                                                 cc(1)
>                  Requires Optional ANSI C Compiler Software
>
>                              object code generated is determined
>                              automatically as that of the machine on which
>                              you compile.
>
>                              Examples
>                                          +DA1.1
>                                          +DA867
>                                          +DA2.0
>                                          +DAportable
>
>                              The first two examples generate code for the
>                              PA-RISC 1.1 architecture. The third example
>                              generates code for the PA-RISC 2.0
>                              architecture. The fourth example generates code
>                              compatible across PA-RISC 1.1 and 2.0
>                              workstations and servers.
>
>            +DSmodel          Use the instruction scheduler tuned to the
>                              model specified.  If this option is not used,
>                              the compiler uses the instruction scheduler for
>                              the architecture on which the program is
>                              compiled.  The architecture is determined by
>                              uname() (see uname(2)).  model can be a model
>                              number, PA-RISC architecture designation or
>                              PA-RISC processor name.  See the file
>                              /opt/langtools/lib/sched.models for a list of
>                              model numbers and processor names.
>
> Anne Wilson wrote:
>
> > Gregory Grosshans wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm not sure why, but I was able to compile LDM-5.1.2 when I modifed the
> > > .cshrc file to not source the NAWIPS .cshrc file.  This time the c89
> > > compiler was used, instead of /opt/ansic/bin/cc, and the following
> > > variables were not set:

> > > If something stands out in one of the compiler flags let me know.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Gregg

Hi Gregg,

I wanted to get back to you on this problem.

First, I will be unable to test this on an HPUX 10.20 after all.  Like I said,
we don't have one in house, we have to borrow one on a temporary basis.
Although we do provide some HPUX 10.20 support for the NWS, officially we only
support HPUX 11.0.

But, I do have a bit of info that may be of some help.  Turns out that c89 and
cc are the same.  We suspect that the code sets some environment variables
based on the whether the code was called via 'c89' or 'cc'.

The only reason I can guess that you got these results is that perhaps c89 uses
the extended ANSI mode (-Ae).  Otherwise I don't see any other relevant
variables among the ones you listed above.

I'm sorry, but that's the best I can do for you at this point.   I'm glad your
LDM is indeed running.  If you do find out what the problem was I'd be
interested to hear it.

Please contact us if you have any more questions.

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307