Re: [Fwd: Re: 20000823: LDM, ldmfail questions from West Chester university]

"Pandya, Rajul E." wrote:

> Hi Anne,
>
> Things seem about the same. I  thinned out the HDS feed request last night -
> eliminating a lot of things. My ldmd files look like this now:
>
> request DDPLUS ".*" navierldm.meteo.psu.edu
> request  HDS "(^H)|(^[YZ].[QRA])|(^Y.[AI]... KWBH)" navierldm.meteo.psu.edu
> request MCIDAS "^pnga2area Q." navierldm.meteo.psu.edu
>
> Anyway, things seem to go a little better using this, but still not great.
> My log files since I made the change last night look still shows lots of
> reclass statements between 3-8 Z (it might be student traffic here but I'm
> not sure).  I am missing some data from that time period also.  I am getting
> similar reclass statements in my log for the last hour or so, as well, and
> haven't been getting any data for a little less than an hour.
>
> As far as WMO data (or now DDPLUS) I am getting that when I am getting data,
> so I think the ldmd.conf is ok.
>
> I am not sure if I should ask for another feed.  My traceroutes today
> sometimes show a considerable amount of congestion here as well as showing
> problems at PSU. I sort of suspected that I might have some local congestion
> this week, school started here on yesterday. Do you have any
> reccomendations?
>
> Thanks for your continuing help.
>
> Thanks,
> Rajul

Hi Rajul,

It would be worth while to determine where the heavy traffic is occurring.  If
it's on your campus, then there may be things your campus network sysadmins
could do to improve the situation.  (I would indeed suspect campus traffic to
be heavy when students are returning.)  If there are significant delays at
other sites then we can try changing your feed.  It could well be both.

Doing lots of traceroutes over a period of time should help to reveal what's
going on.
If it was me, I would try setting up a cron job to run traceroute periodically
and gather the output.  I would run it, oh, say, every 2 - 3 minutes.  If you
do this, add a 'date' command so that we can see the time of day.  This would
help us decide if we need to switch your feed or not.  Just a thought...

Btw, another thought...   Are you sure the time on your computer is set
correctly?  If it's off that could cause lots of RECLASS messages and you could
miss data.

Anne

                                  Boulder, CO  80307