Re: NOAAPort data server x86 configuration (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 19:19:20 +0100
From: Robert Mullenax <address@hidden>
To: Jessica Thomale <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: NOAAPort data server x86 configuration

We have a Gateway PII 400 Mhz that is running the LDM, McIDAS, and
GEMPAK decoders, and serves as a workstation and web server.  We
are running Solaris.  I would definitely recommend Solaris over Linux
for ease of administration, and compatibility.  Informal observations
here indicate that while Linux is faster than Solaris at light loads,
with top-end hardware and heavy loads Solaris wins out.  The only problem
with Solaris is that the hardware support is poor.  You really have to look
at the hardware compatibility list thoroughly to make sure each component
is compatible.  Dell claims their PowerEdge servers have been tested with
Solaris, with the addition of an updated Adpatec SCSI driver.

Here's what I would recommend as a minimum:

Dual 600Mhz PIII's (Dell's minimum PowerEdge 2400 has dual 733's)
512MB RAM
18GB-10K rpm Ultra 160 SCSI --OS and software
36GB-10K rpm Ultra 160 SCSI--data (if you want some archival ability)

36GB Ultra 160 disks are down to around $600 now.

Quite frankly, while we have been happy with the Gateway, we find that our
Sun UltraSparc 440 clone performs much better under heavy load than the Intel
machine, and our next one will be a Sparc.

I am sure you'll get a lot of opposing views on the Solaris vs. Linux issue..
but I have tried both and Solaris handily wins out overall.

Hope this helps.
Robert Mullenax

Click here for Free Video!!
http://www.gohip.com/free_video/