RE: NOAAPort data server x86 configuration (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:40:19 -0400
From: Dan Vietor <address@hidden>
To: 'Robert Mullenax' <address@hidden>,
     'Jessica Thomale' <address@hidden>
Subject: RE: NOAAPort data server x86 configuration

> We have a Gateway PII 400 Mhz that is running the LDM, McIDAS, and
> GEMPAK decoders, and serves as a workstation and web server.

I have a 350 MHz PII running RedHat 6.0 and it seems to run fine with
LDM and WXP.

> We are running Solaris.  I would definitely recommend Solaris
> over Linux for ease of administration, and compatibility.

I think this is pretty much a wash.  For those familiar with Solaris,
stick with it.  For those use to Linux, go that route.  BTW, I've found
Linux to be closer in compatibility to Solaris than almost any other
Unix variant.

> Informal observations here indicate that while Linux is
> faster than Solaris at light loads, with top-end hardware
> and heavy loads Solaris wins out.

Solaris is more reliable under heavy loads than Linux.  I've found
problems with Linux and swapping.  Under heavy loads Linux tends to bog
down far more than I've seen with Solaris.  Plus I've seen timing/buffer
issues with IDE drives cause Linux to crash on occasions under heavy
loads.

> The only problem with Solaris is that the hardware support is poor.

This is getting to be the BIGGEST issue for us moving more towards
Linux.  We stopped using HP systems last year due to motherboard and
CDROM incompatibilities.  Now we are running into the same problems with
Dell.  The newer systems have Intel 100baseT Ethernet cards and graphics
cards that aren't supported by Solaris.  Linux can install on these
systems.

I think the best route here is to NOT buy standard configurations but go
into the online configurators with the Solaris hardware compatibility
matrix and make sure you don't purchase a system that Solaris won't run
on!

> Dell claims their PowerEdge servers have been tested with
> Solaris, with the addition of an updated Adpatec SCSI driver.

What people on this list might want to do is publish Dell systems that
will work.  Make sure you include Ethernet and graphics adapter
information.

Sticking with server configurations may be the best route since these
systems tend to be configured with more legacy hardware than other
desktop systems.

> Quite frankly, while we have been happy with the Gateway, we
> find that our Sun UltraSparc 440 clone performs much better
> under heavy load than the Intel machine, and our next one
> will be a Sparc.

This is a good recommendation.  If price and CPU speed are not an issue
(and its not with the LDM), then Sparc Solaris systems still offer the
best disk/network performance and reliability.

> I am sure you'll get a lot of opposing views on the Solaris
> vs. Linux issue..

This is almost as much of a religious war as the Mac vs PC issue is.
Personally, I like Linux more for development and Solaris more for
runtime reliability and IO speed.

Daniel Vietor               Mail: address@hidden
Unisys Corp                 Title: Engineer/Meteorologist
221 Gale Lane               Phone: 610-925-5206
Kennett Square PA 19348     Fax: 610-925-5215