RE: NOAAPort data server x86 configuration (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:47:11 -0500 (CDT)
From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>
To: Dan Vietor <address@hidden>
     'Jessica Thomale' <address@hidden>,
     address@hidden
Subject: RE: NOAAPort data server x86 configuration

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Dan Vietor wrote:

> > We are running Solaris.  I would definitely recommend Solaris
> > over Linux for ease of administration, and compatibility.
>
> I think this is pretty much a wash.  For those familiar with Solaris,
> stick with it.  For those use to Linux, go that route.  BTW, I've found
> Linux to be closer in compatibility to Solaris than almost any other
> Unix variant.

 I agree, except I have found Redhat Linux much easier to install starting
with version 6.0. I can't download 7.0 yet due to bandwidth problems.

> Solaris is more reliable under heavy loads than Linux.  I've found
> problems with Linux and swapping.  Under heavy loads Linux tends to bog
> down far more than I've seen with Solaris.  Plus I've seen timing/buffer
> issues with IDE drives cause Linux to crash on occasions under heavy
> loads.

Dan,

This issue has, apparently, been alleviated with recent upgrades. Dunno
about IDE drives; I stick with SCSI and they work great for me!

> > The only problem with Solaris is that the hardware support is poor.

THANK YOU! :-) BTW, in years past, their OS has been just as bad. I have
been told by many that it is good now, but I remain skeptical. Besides,
think about this: Why buy a $20,000 Solaris box when, for $4,000, you can
have the same thing plus much cheaper/available parts?

> > I am sure you'll get a lot of opposing views on the Solaris
> > vs. Linux issue..
>
> This is almost as much of a religious war as the Mac vs PC issue is.
> Personally, I like Linux more for development and Solaris more for
> runtime reliability and IO speed.

It's not a religious war. Linux rules, Solaris drools! OK, OK, all sarcasm
aside, I love Linux because for me, the runtime reliability has been
great. I run two Pentium II boxes here at NIU Weather, and I run and maul
them with WXP, McIDAS and other stuff. And they work great! When I used
Solaris in the 1990s, I had to deal with rude customer service/tech
support people, and broken equipment that was horribly costly to replace.
I can say that our original Solaris server in the NIU Meteorology program
was made in 1988, and is still used as an LDM server. And it's still
chugging right along with it's dual 33 MHZ processors.

But then again, so is the 286 in our office taking weather obs, a PC
(can't remember the brand name) from 1987. It happily runs DOS. So, take
your pick! :-)

Internet: address@hidden    (My opinions only!)                     ******
E-mail: address@hidden                                 ***